Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Winter Wreath

This past Monday I had my first session of Winter Evening Storytime.  I created a fun wreath for kids to make and take home.  The best part is that I only had to go out purchase one item for this project.  Everything else came from my craft supplies at the library.



Here's what you will need
Paper plates with the centers cut out
White tissue paper cut into squares (you could also use different shades of blue)
Glitter (I used silver)
Elmer's glue
Glue stick
Ribbon (any color I chose white)
Hole Punch (if you have one or just use scissors)
Wooden snowflakes (I purchased mine from A.C. Moore for about  $0.27 each)
Blue liquid watercolor and paint brush
white crayon
Hot glue gun

First I had the kids use crayons to put a design on their snowflake and then they painted over it with blue liquid watercolor.  Set aside the snowflake to dry.  Using the glue stick in small areas at a time put it on the paper plate and then scrunch a piece of tissue paper and place it on the plate.  Do this until the plate is covered with tissue paper.  Next, take the Elmer's glue and lightly add a zig zag design all around your wreath.  Sprinkle the glitter on that.  Shake off the extra glitter (it will find its way between the tissue paper).  Using the hot glue gun add a small amount of glue to the front of your wreath and place the snowflake on it.  Decide what part of the wreath you want to be the top and punch a whole in it and attach a piece of ribbon to hang your wreath by.  And you're done!

The kids in storytime had a lot of fun making these.  All of their wreaths came our great and so unique.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment