Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Preparing for winter

I know it's only the beginning of October, but I've started planning my crafts for the winter sessions of evening storytime.  I came across a post on Pinterest of this nice picture of stained glass trees made from tissue paper.  I thought this would make an adorable project for storytime, so I came up with this:



I'll have the kids make one tree on half a sheet of light gray card stock.  The sky is made using blue liquid watercolor diluted with water.  Snowflakes were made with a standard hole punch.  I wanted to add a little something extra so I included a snowflake poem that I found with a Google search.  There's tons out there so pick which one you like best.  :-)
Steps:
Paint top half of paper blue
Tree:  Make triangles in a word document.  Have kids glue (I used glue sticks) squares of tissue paper onto the triangle.  Make sure they over lap and go beyond the outline of the triangle.  Once that is completely covered cut out triangle.
Glue triangle to paper and use a piece of tissue paper for the trunk.
Glue white dots for snow all over the paper and tree.
Glue snow poem.
And now you have an adorable winter picture to put on the fridge or frame!

There are so many pictures books that can go along with this craft.  I will post a list later this month of winter storytime books that I like to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment